This pre-1852 plan shows the square bounded by Saint Charles, Jackson, Prytania,
and Philip being subdivided into urban lots. The property contained a large house
and its dependencies, along with an alley of oaks and a 64-plot garden. The site, in
what is now the Garden District, was in the former City of Lafayette. New Orleans
absorbed Lafayette in 1852, and southwest Louisiana’s Vermilionville changed its
name to Lafayette in the 1880s.